Value of shipments for the nation’s 95 household cooking appliance manufacturing establishments totaled $4.3 billion in 2012, according to the latest 2012 Economic Census statistics released today by the U.S. Census Bureau. This value is down 10.8 percent from $4.9 billion in 2007.
The household cooking appliance manufacturing industry employed 10,324 people in 2012, down 34.0 percent from 15,638 in 2007. Average payroll per employee increased 23.0 percent from $30,199 in 2007 to $37,143 in 2012. The average number of employees per establishment in this industry decreased 20.1 percent, from 136 in 2007 to 109 in 2012.
Other highlights for the household cooking appliance manufacturing industry (NAICS 335221) include:
· Total value of product shipments decreased 6.7 percent from $4.7 billion in 2007 to $4.4 billion in 2012.
· Electric household ranges, ovens and surface cooking units comprised 57.2 percent ($2.5 billion) of the total value of product shipments in 2012, while 26.3 percent of units ($1.1 billion) were fueled by gas.
· The value of product shipments from electric water heaters for permanent home installation increased 5.7 percent, with $694.2 million reported in 2007 and $733.6 million in 2012.
· The 28 household refrigerator and home freezer manufacturing establishments employed 8,603 people in 2012, down 38.4 percent from 13,971 in 2007. The average number of employees per establishment in this industry decreased 45.0 percent, from 559 in 2007 to 307 in 2012.
· The household refrigerator and home freezer manufacturing industry had a value of shipments of $3.6 billion in 2012, down 36.8 percent from $5.8 billion in 2007.
· Electric water heaters for permanent home installation made up 18.4 percent of the total value of product shipments of other major household appliance manufacturing in 2012, while 26.7 percent were nonelectric.
Statistics for the small electrical appliance manufacturing industry (NAICS 335210) were also released today as part of the 2012 Economic Census Industry Series. This new 2012 NAICS industry is comprised of 2007 NAICS codes 335211 and 335212. For more information on this and other 2012 NAICS changes, see the NAICS website. Highlights for this industry include:
· The number of employees decreased 34.8 percent from 12,902 in 2007 to 8,409 in 2012. Average payroll per employee increased15.8 percent from $39,014 in 2007 to $45,163 in 2012.
· This industry’s value of shipments was $3.4 billion in 2012, down 13.9 percent from $3.9 billion in 2007.
These data are part of the 2012 Economic Census Industry Series, which publishes national statistics for detailed industries as well as information on the product lines sold by or services provided by businesses. These data are collected for establishments, which are typically single physical locations of a business that produce or distribute goods or perform services and can be accessed via American FactFinder.
Future 2012 Economic Census Industry Series releases will include first time information on the emerging industries of solar, wind, geothermal and biomass electric power generation. This series will be released through February 2015; for more information on these future releases, seebusiness.census.gov.
About the Economic Census
The U.S. Census Bureau conducts an economic census every five years and provides a comprehensive and detailed profile of the U.S. economy, covering millions of businesses representing more than 1,000 industries and providing unique portraits of American industries and local communities.
Economic census statistics will be released over a two-year period, through June 2016. Statistics at the local level, including information for more than 5,000 communities not available from previous economic censuses, will be available starting in February 2015. About 40 billion cells of data on U.S. businesses with paid employees will be released in total. Separate statistics for 2012 on the approximately 21 million businesses without paid employees is available here.