Monday, March 21, 2016

Homeowners and Renters Insurance stats

In 2014, 5.3 percent of insured homes had a claim, according to ISO. Property damage, including theft, accounted for 97.3 percent of those claims. Changes in the percentage of each type of homeowners loss from one year to another are partially influenced by large fluctuations in the number and severity of weather-related events such as hurricanes and winter storms. There are two ways of looking at losses: by the average number of claims filed per 100 policies (frequency) and by the average amount paid for each claim (severity).

On average, over the past nine years about half of homeowners said they prepared an inventory of their possessions to help document losses for their insurers, according to polls conducted for the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.). Fifty-two percent of homeowners said they had an inventory in a June 2015 I.I.I. survey.

More from the Insurance Information Institute

No comments: